Jessica Biel: The smartest thing she has ever done

Often touted as one of the world's most beautiful women, Jessica Biel, 30, actress and fianc of Justin Timberlake, is starring in Playing The Field, Total Recall, as well as The Tall Man, all released this year. In her romantic life, Biel dated actor Adam LaVorgna, her costar from 7th Heaven from 1998 to 2001, then was in a relationship with actor Chris Evans (Captain America) from 2001 - 2006. She became Justin Timberlake's girlfriend after he broke up with Cameron Diaz in 2007. Biel and Timberlake split in March 2011, but six months later reunited and in December he proposed to her in the mountains of Jackson, Wyoming. Always ranking highly on the hot' or sexy' lists, due to her natural beauty and athletic body, in person, she's funny, smart, and doesn't take herself too seriously.

Interview

Were you a tomboy in any way growing up?

JB: Well, as a kid I was a gymnast. My parents played soccer, I was constantly just being asked to be physical, so that's just who I am in kind of a very simple way.

So when you get to do it on film you must love it?

JB: It's so fun, I love it, yeah. It feels very comfortable. It's rare to be able to use your body in the way that we can use our body in these kinds of action films, specifically being a woman. I don't know how you feel about that, but I don't do that kind of thing on an everyday basis, (laughter) but I find it really fulfilling. It's amazing, you get to learn so much, about different martial arts, or boxing or whatever it is, I like that a lot.

I'm sure you're always in shape, but when you're doing a movie do you increase the intensity of your exercise regimen?

JB: I increase the intensity, yes, and also the amount of workout. I'm also very conscious of the food intake because for me I can go off the rails really easily with my eating. That can really take me to a place where I don't feel like my body looks the way I want it to look. So it's the amount of workout, type of workout, and I will just i! ncrease that. And then when I am not working or it's a different thing I will just take it way back.

Is there always a pressure to be in shape?

JB: I think there's a pressure for me in my life as a human being, simply because that is how I've always existed and because I like it.

Do you feel better?

JB: I do, I absolutely feel, I just feel healthier. I feel l have more energy when I exercise. Like, this morning, I got up and I swam, and walked on the beach. It's not a lot, but I feel like I can sustain being inside while it's beautiful outside. Being outside gets my brain in the right place and it de-stresses me.

Apparently you got interested in fashion and make up five years ago. What changed?

JB: I don't know. You know what, honestly, this might sound really lame, but actually being able to afford some nice things I think changed a little bit. I thought, wow, maybe I can actually buy something nice for myself, whereas when I was a lot younger and I was a kid, I never even cared, and it wasn't accessible at all to me.

Does the vanity kick in as well? Even if you really don't want it to, the fact that you're getting your photo taken all the time?

JB: Of course, absolutely, I would never say, 'Oh not me, I'm not vain,' I would not say that. Yeah, I think we live in a society where beauty is a really strange thing in this kind of western world. And the competition, just naturally in the world is there. I feel like everybody probably experiences that, but yeah of course, you know, you are getting your photograph taken and you want to appear healthy. I want my skin to be clear and I want to feel confident. And if your skin isn't clear, your body feels weird, you don't feel confident, and that comes across. So yes, it starts with the vanity, but for me, it's always like, do I feel secure more with myself as a person. To be out in front of a film like this

Do you remember the moment when you realised that you were a public figure?

JB: Maybe it was one of the ! first ti mes that I was followed maybe by a paparazzi or something. That was definitely a moment. I was living in Brentwood at the time, and I came out of my house and I remember being like, 'What's that guy doing in the bushes over there?' You know, like it really didn't occur to me that he was taking my picture at all, and that was the first moment where, that idea of anonymity and privacy and personal life and professional life, is all starting to get kind of blurry.

Did that scare you in some way?

JB: Definitely, yeah. You know, it's a strange man following you down the street, and as a female, you cannot help but immediately fight or flight. I'm like, do I have to run, or am I going to punch this guy in the nose? (laughter) How is this going to work?

What were you most excited to get your hands on when Total Recall came your way?

JB: With this film, probably two parts. I hadn't done really anything physical in a while so the fight sequences and the training was just my favorite, so that bit and then also the challenge of creating this relationship with these two people, in the shortest amount of time. I mean a man who doesn't remember that he had a relationship with you, (laughs) I mean relationships are tough as it is, (laughs) can you imagine that? The love of your life is like, whatever! I mean, it's terrible, so bringing the emotion and being able to maintain that, to be able to bring the audience along, so you want this guy to remember and you want him to, you want her to be true, that what she is saying actually is true. And not a ploy to get him close so I don't know, she can actually take him out as well.

JB: You've never come home to your fianc and he's been like, 'Do I know you?'

JB: No, I'm sure he has, just to piss me off. (laughs)

So you kick his ass. (laughs)

JB: Yeah, I attempt at least. An attempt.

Do you feel comfortable when magazines call you hot or sexy?

JB: Honestly it's a lovely compliment, absolutely. But like I said, beauty, ! I think it's so backwards. We look at it in such a funny way, it's so about the physical, and it's just really not about that. If someone is a beautiful person and they are really ugly inside, they become really ugly really fast. That's my opinion.

But you must play with it sometimes.

JB: Of course. In a shoot, you are playing a character, even in a quick silly shoot, you're not yourself. You put on the clothes, you put your mask on, you put your wig on, whatever, your hair, whatever it is, and you just become someone else for a minute. I find that the more open you are to that, and just going with it, the faster it all happens. The quicker you are done. Because sometimes you can feel really silly, there's the big paper that they hang and the photographer and all the lights and everyone is just staring at you. (laughs) I'm not a model so I don't exactly know what I'm doing. So you really kind of have to just step into somebody else's shoes and pretend it's not you and have no inhibitions. Otherwise, you are there forever. (laughs) They will try to pull something out of you and you are just like pushing back against it so strongly.

What about intuition?

JB: I have intuition all the time.

But you don't follow it.

JB: Not all the time, and I regret it every time I don't follow it. I regret it.

Kate Beckinsale is obviously very intelligent. I asked her whether it was a good thing to be smart for a woman. She said, yes, but not necessarily as an actress. Would you agree with that?

JB: I don't know. I definitely think people are intimidated and scared of women who are very smart. And I think sometimes in the film industry, people can be filled with insecurity, and so for like someone like Kate, who is confident and beautiful and smart, is a very scary entity. So maybe in that respect, because people could be afraid of how powerful you can be.

And what is the smartest thing you have ever done? She said, going to Oxford and marrying her husband.

JB: That's a go! od answe r. I think maybe the smartest thing I've ever done has managed to be financially independent because I don't have to rely on anybody, I never have, and there's a great sense of freedom in that, and an empowerment in that.

And the stupidest thing you've ever done?

JB: The stupidest thing, I'm sure there's so many things, that weigh, outnumber the smart things. Probably the stupidest thing I've ever done was not finishing school. Because I always feel like having that degree in your hand means something. Even though it might not, maybe it's just a confidence thing for me, I'm not sure.

JB: Now that you're engaged, have you always dreamed of the white wedding dress and all of that?

Not really. I was very career oriented, and just creatively interested in arts and music and theater and things like that. I wasn't one of those people that had always dreamed about that moment. I just wasn't.

I know you're athletic - is Justin a better golfer than you?

JB: Oh of course, he's way better. He's very good.

Do you get lessons with him?

JB: No. I get lessons with different golf pros, whenever I'm working somewhere, I find a course and then find a teacher there and so I just take lessons with random people all over the place.

What keeps you grounded? You have become a superstar, you are engaged to one of the biggest musicians and actors in the world and you still seem to be Jessica. What makes you stay that way?

JB: I'm not sure. I think I just really understand that this job is just my job. And it comes with a lot of really amazing things and amazing extra bits, but it can all go away really quickly and it's not really, hopefully it doesn't justify and define my life my job. And I feel like there are a lot of other things that I want to do in my life and that I care about, and the people that I care about in my life are very important to me. I don't want to take them for granted, so, I think I'm able somehow to just keep things very clear about what my priori! ties are , and when things become too much. And I can see, like okay, this kind of behavior is not acceptable for me, to maintain my integrity as a person. Because I really do care about my friends and my family, and having integrity with them, over my job, and over doing something that would, that could jeopardize that.

To stay fit for work, do you have some rule, like no carbs or no dessert, things like that?

JB: Not really. I mean sometimes when I'm working I will be very strict.

What's the taboo food?

JB: Taboo food for me when I'm working is probably dairy and gluten, because I love that stuff. (laughs) And I can go over the top with it, so when I'm working I try to stay away from that, but when I am not working, I will treat myself, chocolate, pasta, wine. (laughter) Everything that everyone else likes.

Thank you.

Sian Edwards /Viva Press


Comments