Blog: Could Jessica Biel take Kate Beckinsale in a fight?

As Jessica Biel notes, Kate Beckinsale is wiry. Why would Biel assess Beckinsales personal envelope?

At a recent L. A. interview, the actress was asked, playfully, if she could take Beckinsale in a real fight because they go toe-to-toe in the remake of the Arnold Schwarzenegger sci-fi action flick, Total Recall, which opens Aug. 3.

Directed by Beckinsales husband, Len Wiseman, the new movie features Colin Farrell, who plays Arnies old role. Thats Quaid, the futuristic factory worker with a memory implant and a nasty identity crisis since hes either a spy for the freedom fighters or a super-agent for the regime.

Beckinsale portrays Lori, who is Quaids wife, leading a double life as a government killer. Biel is Melina, a rebel with a cause.

In one of the pivotal scenes, Beckinsales Lori and Biels Melina mix it up martial arts style, so naturally each actress was asked who would win for real. Biel has already given the edge to the wiry Beckinsale, so Beckinsale responds.

I couldnt possibly say, she manages. I think we were quite well matched. I think that was one of the things that was good about it. So, yeah, people have asked. I think thats an impossible thing to answer.

Beckinsale does admit that actors in action movies sometimes confuse fiction with reality, and that includes Beckinsale who starred in lots of action flicks before Total Recall.

Shes reminded every now and then; learning how to pretend to fight isnt the same thing as fighting.

I mean thats the dangerous thing about actors when they teach you a fight, says Beckinsale, and you throw a fist and somebody falls on the floor.

So you think, Im a badass. Check me out. For me, its always depressing when my husband gets me into a headlock or an arm thing, and I go, Damn, hes stronger than me.

bthompson@postmedia.comblog: Canada.com/sceneandheard


Comments