What Made Jessica Biel Want to Steal a Girdle?

Stylewatch Style News Now

11/21/2012 at 11:00 AM ET

Jessica Biel in HitchcockSuzanne Tenner

Her wedding gown was dreamy, pink and modern, but while filming Hitchcock, Jessica Biel found herself taken with her characters muted and binding mid-century costumes.

I would have stolen that girdle, and pretty much everything that I could have, the actress joked to PEOPLE at the films Los Angeles premiere on Tuesday. But I literally think that they would have hunted me down.

In fact, while many actors are free to keep a memento from the project that they have worked on, Biel quickly got the sense that playing Vera Miles would be a labor of love steeped in authenticity without the benefit of a fashion souvenir.

Those costumes came from an amazing old costume house, and I really dont know how many women wore the same costumes [on prior films], Biel explained. They have so much history, and they were not allowed to be taken away, so I didnt actually take anything.

Thats not to say that the stunning newlywed walked away completely empty-handed; Biel admitted that the! experience, while sometimes uncomfortable, altered the way in which she views both fashion and femininity.

I think every time that I step back into that period and really explore those beautiful, feminine shapes, especially where its all about the waist, I try to take that and bring that into my personal fashion and life, she shared. I try to do a little bit more of the feminine thing. Tell us: Do you plan to see Hitchcock?

Reagan Alexander

PHOTOS: SEE STARS ON SET IN LIGHTS! CAMERA! FASHION!


Comments